Monday 17 December 2007

"They don't go and they don't stop..."







Hello and welcome to issue 4 of the langeberger, your candid chronicle of everyday life at the Lodge. I decided it's time to show a couple of photos of Joy and me: there we are posing astride a Harley softtail Heritage Classic. I like Harleys having owned and ridden (as opposed to just polished) an H-D Road King, but devotees of modern sports bikes sometimes say mean things about them. One Grand Prix wannabe in his one-piece track-day leathers once said to me, "...trouble with Harleys is they don't go and they don't stop!" I have to admit it's a good sound-bite, but all it means is they are not super quick and they won't stop on a sixpence. Sounds a bit like yours truly. Tell us something we don't know!


How did we come to be perched on the Harley? The bike and photo were courtesy of Ritchie, a guest from Scotland who had set himself the challenge of returning to motorcycling in his mid-fifties and what's more making his return in a foreign country. As if the adrenaline spike needed another boost he had psyched himself up to make a bungee jump from the Bloukrans Bridge at Storms River, Eastern Cape. I believe this is the longest bungee 'drop' in SA (aficionados may be able to confirm this). It may interest you to know that Ritchie's regular job is 'risk management'.

Well Ritchie, we hope you made it back to Scotland all right, and if you happen to read this, we'd love to hear from you.


Until the next time,

Adios amigos
Chris
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS Joy has a story to share about bungee jumping:
"Some years ago - don't ask me how many - when my children were small we stopped near a river bridge whilst on holiday on the Wild Coast, Natal. We encountered bungee jumping for the first time and we watched for a while,fascinated. My husband and I returned to the car leaving the kids rooted to the spot. Later my son reported that he had observed the man in charge refuse to let someone make the jump. Why we asked, did he give a reason? Yes, said my son, the man said, "I know you, you're the guy who s**t on my ropes last time you were here. I'm the guy who had to clean it off. You must get your own ropes - you're not using mine!"

1 comment:

Joy said...

Some years ago when my children were small we stopped near a river bridge whilst on holiday on the Wild Coast, Natal. We encountered bungee jumping for the first time and we watched for a while,fascinated. My husband and I returned to the car leaving the kids rooted to the spot. Later my son reported that he had observed the man in charge refuse to let someone make the jump. Why we asked, did he give a reason? Yes, said my son, the man said, "I know you, you're the guy who s**t on my ropes last time you were here. I'm the guy who had to clean it off. You must get your own ropes!"