Friday 14 December 2007

Langeberg Guest Lodge












Hello, and welcome to my very first posting on my first web log: issue 1 of the langeberger. My subject today is Langeberg Guest Lodge our guest house in Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa. Otherwise known as the Lodge.
But first some introductions: I'm Chris and my wife is Joy and as our blog develops over time more details of our lives will naturally emerge.
Currently I'm working with a web-site designer to get our own site up and running; the text is already written and the photographs assembled. So it's convenient to share some of the information with this blog.
I built the Lodge from scratch, having purchased the land in 2004. Building work commenced in February 2005 and we opened our doors to paying guests in November 2006, so we have just celebrated our first anniversary as a guest house. Joy and I run the business ourselves and live on the premises (guests stay in garden cottages, separate from the main house). We employ two maids and a gardener. Joy manages the domestic side of operations and cooks an excellent breakfast, while I alternate between the roles of host, waiter, washer-up and handyman. As Joy puts it, "There is no job description..."
We're proud of the facilities on offer here:
  • Cape Dutch style homestead
  • 6 garden cottages for guests
  • salt water swimming pool
  • lapa (covered poolside shelter)
  • landscaped gardens of indigenous plants
  • braai (barbecue) area
  • secluded seating areas
  • secure off-street parking
I look forward to writing more about life at the Lodge in future 'postings'. So until next time it's:
Adios amigos.
Chris